Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ireland

Hello! I recently got to go to Ireland again. This time Deidre came so it was better. We saw lot's of great stuff. This is Bunratty Castle in sort of central-western Ireland. I forgot which county we were in. In the course of the day we were in 3 of the 4 provinces.  Here's a little mill near the castle.

I didn't get a whole lot of photos because my camera is old and I never got a proper memory card for it. Sorry. But here's what I've got. 


So you can't really tell much but this is from somewhere in the middle of Ireland. We took a train across from Dublin to Galway. Deidre found this great tour. We took a train to Limerick where Frank McCourt is from and learned about how he came to write Angela's Ashes. Then on to Castle up top. Then out to the Cliffs of Moher. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of that. My camera is not good for landscapes. One of these days if I'm nice Deidre will let me have some of the pictures she took with her much better camera. It was well worth the trip just to see the cliffs. 

I did get a picture in Galway bay though.


It was an unusually sunny day so you could see the Islands off in the distance. We stayed at a bed & breakfast in Galway that night. Galway is a nice town. It's right on the ocean and is a big university town. I love college towns usually anyway but Galway is up there with the top ones. It's surprisingly modern possibly due to the focus of many of the universities. Ireland was way out in front when it came to computers and engineering and science in general. The universities put out many top notch IT and engineering professionals apparently. 

Anyway it was a great trip but by the end we were pretty worn out. Here's my evidence. 


We had a long day of travel that last day. We took the train back to Dublin from Galway, then straight to the airport to fly back to Prague. Luckily for me Mila came to pick us up and was exceedingly generous enough to drive me back to Plzen. I can't thank him enough for that. 

So stay tuned folks. I've got some Easter pictures and stuff to tell y'all about the crazy customs they have here like the pomlázky. 
Update: Here's a few of the pics that Deidre took.

This is at Trinity College in Dublin
And here's a few at the Cliffs of Moher. 





No comments: