Saturday, August 30, 2008

Believe it or not I made it!

Well I finally got here. Actually I've been in Plzen since Wednesday. But I've been in a jet-lag fog pretty much the whole time. Add to that the fact that I got the wrong kind of adapter plug for my computer and I've been less than productive on the blog. Also I have yet to master the art of taking pictures on the street without looking too touristy.


But I did take a few pictures today. This is the swing set we put in today at Maranatha. This is the back yard behind the church. The crew in this photo from left to right is Petr, Petr, Petr, Witek and Petr.  Apparently everybody in Czech Republic (including me) is named Petr. Except Witek of course



In this photo the crew is Petr, Peter, Petr, Vitek and Petr.  That time I messed it up with my weird American spelling.

All in all it was a fun time.  None of the guys really speaks much English except Petr Prochazka so I was doing my best to soak in what few Czech words I did know. Fortunately "dobry"(good) was said quite a bit and at the end I'm pretty sure someone said "Super" so I think it turned out well.

It is definitely very exciting to be here finally. So far I haven't ventured out on my own too much. I did go to the Tesco by myself yesterday and got some groceries. Apparently Tesco is Great Britain's answer to Walmart. It's fine with me 'cause I can just pick out what I want and I don't have to bother anyone with my non-Czech speaking shenanigans. 

One thing that becomes immediately obvious in the supermarket here is that Czechs love them some sausage. I would like to go on the record as being 100% on board with this, down with and all other superlatives I can't think of.  So far I've only sampled a couple. One I don't know the name of and Khlobasa which I bought and grilled with my neighbors. I've got so many to try that it's good I have a year to get around to them. There was one intriguing black sausage that I'm pretty sure is made with just blood, mmmmm blood sausage. Hey don't knock it! It might be awesome.

No comments: