Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Greetings from Prague


Hey everybody. Guess what? I'm in Prague!
Don't worry about that dude behind me. He's just some random KFC patron. Yeh, the KFC here has wifi so I thought I'd take the opportunity to check in. 

I've come up to Prague to meet with the guy who teaches  English for the HQ UMC Church. It's been really helpful so see how he does things. I'm feeling a little better about getting going. 

Slavo and I have been working on a schedule and price scheme for the classes. All we need now are students and a curriculum. I'm hoping to iron that out this week. 

Shoot, now that I've got the chance I can't really think of much to write about. Prague is a really cool town. The buildings are all pretty amazing. Even the Borg-like commie "Culture Center" building was impressive in an evil Star Trek cyborg army kind of way. 

I did manage to get a better photo of the creepy skull post on the Charles Bridge. Check it out, I have this as my wallpaper on my phone. 

I'm hoping I can get this better image onto it somehow. I feel like I need to hurry up and get out of here. But really in CR they don't care if you linger after a meal. You have to pretty much chase your server down and ask for the bill or they'll let you sit there all night.  Nevertheless, I feel a bit exposed writing on a laptop in KFC.

Well, I'll try to get some photos of the the Church compound here in Prague. It's pretty wild. You could walk past it on the street and not even see it. I've walk past it several times on accident already. (Update: I got some photos after all) But when you get inside the doors there's a whole big courtyard and tons of apartments that belong to the Church. I'm actually staying in a small apartment at the Church while I'm here. It's 200Kc (about $12) a night. Not bad. Especially since Maranatha is paying for it. The only thing is I apparently do not have hot water. Now I took cold showers in Nicaragua and didn't mind a bit. But when it's 50 degrees outside and your water is about -20 you don't really want to get too much of it on you. Therefor I might be pretty funky by the time I get home. 
This is the actual Church.










And these below are some of the apartments owned by Church. They were burned in a fire a few weeks ago and they've been working to get them restored ever since. My apartment was not up there but over by the Church.

I may be even funkier because I'm thinking about swinging over to Karlovy Vary to visit Deidre before I head back to Plzen. She has started her classes so I kind of want to see how they're doing things over there.  She thinks we'll be doing vastly different kinds of lessons. I'm sure she's right but I still can use all the input I can get my hands on to figure out how to teach the Plzners. 

All right. I think that's going to be it for now. 

Ciao

No comments: