Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm a teacher now, or that's what I tell people anyway.

The classes are going pretty well. I had two today (Wednesday). It's really hard to get Czech people to talk. You can ask them questions and they just look at you with a totally blank expression on their face. It's pretty funny. Anyway I got through a whole class using these text books after I had asked if they wanted to use them or not. Then at the end they all said they didn't want to use the books. It worked out fine. They all just want to work on conversation and pick up a few new words that way. Which is great but the trick is getting them to talk. It's much easier when it's just one or two people. You can usually find something they like to talk about. But they won't tell you what they want to talk about. It's a challenge for sure but it is mostly funny to me right now. In bigger groups there's usually one or two people that will speak up but the rest just look at the table. I hope they all come back but I've been told to expect some people to only show up once. Which is a bummer.  But even after just three days and four classes I'm already much more comfortable with the whole deal.

Sorry no photos this time either. When I know my students are going to stick around I will try to get them to let me take their photos for the blog. Hopefully they'll be more cooperative than some people (wink wink) I know.

No comments: